IDE software provides a complete set of tools that developers can utilize to build functioning apps and programs. There are loads of quality solutions in this niche. So how do you do knowledgeable comparisons to zero in on the best IDE software for your needs? You need not fret as we are here to assist you. Read on to learn all about the main features and factors that you should look for in these types of platforms.
Get to know each product with free trial
We advise you to begin your search for the best IDE tools by signing up for the free trial or demo offered by popular programs. Top IDE software providers offer a free trial to help you learn about their application’s key features and also do a comparison with other tools in the market. We suggest you check out the following leading apps for the possibility of a free trial: Microsoft Visual Studio, PyCharm, IntelliJ IDEA, RubyMine, and NetBeans. These products have received high rankings in our IDE software reviews which guarantees their good quality.
IDE tools can be utilized by the following businesses:
- Small businesses with 50 or fewer employees
- Mid-market organizations with between 51 to 1,000 employees
- Large enterprises and multinationals that have more than 1,000 employees
Examples of IDE software
- Microsoft Visual Studio: IDE software developed by Microsoft. You can use it to build attractive apps for mobile and desktop platforms as well as cloud-based services and web apps. For bigger teams, Visual Studio offers application control, agile planning, and version control. Coders can utilize their own version of this software to create codes for free on leading operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.
- PyCharm: A Python IDE for professional developers offered by JetBrains. It provides smart code assistance and empowers developers to enhance their coding quality and productivity. PyCharm offers framework support, smart refactoring, testing aid, and quality checks. This means you can save time on debugging and spend it on writing additional lines. Finally, the tool offers more than 50 plugins to help developers improve their coding experience.
- IntelliJ IDEA: A Java IDE that is very popular among software developers firms. It offers a ton of out-of-the-box functionalities including support for STS, Gradle, and Maven, among others. This application enhances productivity by offering intuitive code help for all supported frameworks and languages. Top features include: version control, ergonomic layout, wizard-free environment, heuristics, and developer ergonomics.
- RubyMine: An intelligent IDE that is specifically designed for Ruby and Rails application developers. It empowers developers to be productive by offering tools such as smart navigation, on-the-fly code analysis, and intelligent code completion. On top of that, RubyMine provides a robust debugger and integrates testing support. You can effortlessly access databases such as SQLite, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, and Oracle directly from the IDE.
Types of IDE software
IDE software solutions differ in the types of features and tools they offer. Typically, an IDE software provides a debugger, build automation tools, and source code editor, Modern IDEs include intelligent code completion. Some IDEs like Eclipse and NetBeans offer a compiler, interpreter, or both, while others like Lazarus and SharpDevelop don’t. Finally, top modern IDEs provide a class hierarchy diagram, an object browser, and a class browser for utilization in object-oriented software development.
Key Features of IDE Software
- Efficient project management. The IDE should empower you to manage multiple project windows simultaneously. You should be able to drill down into your data easily and quickly. Plus, the application should help you to keep your code well-organized so that new developers joining the project will be easily able to understand your application’s structure.
- Fast user interface development. The IDE should offer drag-and-drop tools and editors to enable you to design GUIs for Java ME, C/C++, PHP, Java EE, HTML5, and Java SE apps smoothly and quickly. The GUI builder should be intuitive and easy to use.
- Debugger and profiler. Buggy code can cost your project a lot in terms on time and effort spent. A good IDE offers static analysis tools to help you easily identify and fix common issues in your code. The profiler should help to optimize your app’s memory usage and speed, and enable you to develop reliable and scalable applications.
- Cross platform support. Finally, you should be able to easily install the IDE on all popular operating systems including Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.
Benefits of IDE software
- Works out of the box. Top IDE solutions are easy to install and use. In addition, they offer fully integrated features and tools and you don’t need to look for plugins.
- Saves time and effort. IDE software makes app development easier and faster. You can use its features to create shortcuts, minimize errors, and organize your resources.
- Enforce company or project standards. Programmers can work in the same development environment and adhere to standard processes and procedures. IDE software provides predefined templates and enables teams and individuals working on a project to share code libraries.
- Assistance for project management. IDEs offer documentation tools that help to automate the recording of developer comments. In addition, they facilitate visual presentation of resources which helps you to easily learn the structure of an application and you don’t need to search the file system for hidden files.
- Avail dedicated support. Top vendors offer training credits, software support, and programming advice to help developers make effective use of the software.
Increased demand for web-based and mobile software. This factor is influencing the growth of the IDE software market across the world. Many users are shifting from desktop to online IDE platforms because of their ease of access and convenience. Cloud IDE solutions are becoming popular in key business regions such as the US, UK, Germany, France, India, and China.
Factors impacting growth. The growth of the IDE software market is impacted by the lack of skilled software employees in regions like Latin America and Middle East and Africa. On top of that, macroeconomic conditions such as economic difficulties and currency exchange rates are other factors that are affecting the growth of the IDE software market around the world.
Following are common issues reported by users of IDE software:
- Steep learning curve. IDEs are complicated software platforms and you need time and patience to learn to use them effectively to maximize their benefit.
- Not ideal for novice programmers. Apart from the learning curve, IDE software can be hard to learn for newbies and novice developers because the tool’s shortcuts and features are usually designed for experienced programmers and they may hide important details of a language. Therefore, using IDE software can hinder new programmers when they are trying to learn a new language.
- Does not correct bad code, design, or practices. IDE software does not eliminate performance or efficiency issues in your app development process. You still need to be meticulous and proficient in your work to build functioning and effective apps using the software.